Calliope Auditions: Once On This IslandAs auditions are scheduled, they will be listed here. If you would like to receive audition notices please sign up at our Audition List Subscription page
Calliope announces auditions for Once On This Island, a musical by Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty.
Ti Moune, a lowly peasant girl, rescues Daniel, a wealthy boy from the other side of the island, and falls in love with him. Unbeknownst to Ti Moune, the pompous gods who preside over the island make a bet with one another over which is stronger - love or death - the stakes being Ti Moune's life. When Ti Moune pursues Daniel after he returns to his people, she is shunned because of her low status. Despite her determination and capacity to love, she fails to win Daniel's heart, and Ti Moune pays the ultimate price. However, the gods turn Ti Moune into a tree that grows so strong and so tall that it breaks down the wall separating the two social classes and ultimately unites them.
The CastCast: 20, men and women (ages are flexible):
- Ti Moune - A peasant girl, the protagonist. Age range: mature 16-22. Vocal range: E to high G
- Little Ti Moune - Ti Moune as a child. Age range: Elementary to Middle School age. (Auditions for this role will be held at a later date.)
- Daniel Beauxhomme - A “grande home” (upper class), Ti Moune's fatal love obsession. Age range: 20s. Vocal range: low C# to high F#
- Papa Ge - god of Death. Age: adult 25+. Vocal range: low C to high G
- Erzulie - goddess of Love. Age: adult 25+. Vocal range: low A to C#
- Agwe - god of Water. Age: adult 25+. Vocal range: low B to high E
- Asaka - goddess of the Earth. Age: adult 25+. Vocal range: low A to high E
- Mama Euralie - Ti Moune's adoptive peasant mother. Age: 40+. Vocal range: low Gb to middle line B
- Tonton Julian - Ti Moune's adoptive peasant father. Age: 40+. Vocal range: low A to high E
- Andrea Deveraux - Daniel's promised wife (upper class). Age range: 20s
- Armand Beauxhomme - Daniel's stern father (upper class). Age: 40+
- "Armand" - The ancestor of Armand (upper class)..
- Gatekeeper - The Hotel Beauxhomme's fierce guard. Age: adult
- The Little Girl - A young peasant girl who is told the story of Ti Moune. Age range: Elementary to Middle School age (Auditions for this role will be held at a later date.)
- Daniel's Son - Daniel's young son (upper class).
- Storytellers/Gossips – various peasant neighbors of Ti Moune
The RehearsalsSunday, Monday and Wednesday evenings, subject to adjustment after casting.
The PerformancesMay 18 - 28:
- 7:30 pm performances on Thu., Fri., Sat. (Thursday first weekend only)
- 2:00 pm matinee performances on both Sundays, and on Saturday, December 10
1) singing one prepared song (no more than one verse and one chorus), printed in the correct key for the pianist, selected to best display your vocal range, singing power and expression (does not need to be memorized) and
2) reading and learning harmony from sheet music, with others in a small group.
There will be no scene-reading or dance movement required at the audition.
NOTE: Everyone should sign-up on-line for an audition time. “Walk-ins” should plan to wait for a free moment between reserved audition times when/if available.
Young women under consideration for Ti Moune will be contacted for a call-back audition at which they will sing again and do an acting and movement improvisation. Other adults might be called back to sing again for a principal singing role. Not being called back does not mean that you are not being considered for a role.
AUDITION AGESNobody under 16 years old for these auditions *
For Ti Moune – young women who can “play” mature 16 to age 22
Adults – all ages and ethnicities, age 20+. All roles are non-compensated.
* Auditions for Little Ti Moune and the Little Girl will be held at a later date.